Salesia V. Smith-Gordon, Attorney at Law and Registered Pharmacist.
Personal injury lawyer

Working hard to help rebuild the
lives of those seriously injured.

I suspect nursing home neglect and abuse. What should I do?

Return to FAQ Videos


For our loved ones to be abused in a setting where we have entrusted others to care for them can be absolutely overwhelming. It is important for you to try to visit as often as you can. If you can’t get there, ask family members or friends to go and try to go at different times so that your visits cannot be predicted or predictable by the administration or staff.

Secondly, you want to talk to the staff and lodge your concerns and complaints. Ask questions and if possible put your concerns in writing to them so that it is part of your loved one’s file.

Thirdly, keep a personal journal. Keep a record of when you’ve gone and what your findings were. What did you see? What did you smell? Any kind of things of importance you want to record them for your records and lastly, report your concerns to the corresponding agency. In Florida it’s the Florida Long Term Care Ombudsman. That’s your advocate who will investigate the claim for you.

Those are things that I would do.

Salesia V. Smith-Gordon, Attorney at Law and Registered Pharmacist.
922 Second St. , West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Telephone: 561-655-9279

Connect with Us

Salesia V. Smith-Gordon Map

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

No content on this site may be reused in any fashion without written permission from
MileMark Media - Practice Growth Solutions

© 2016 - 2019 Salesia V. Smith-Gordon, Attorney at Law and Registered Pharmacist. All rights reserved.
This law firm website is managed by MileMark Media.

Contact Form Tab